If seems the Province's Energy and Utilities Board agrees with the critics and that NB Power's distribution wing did not prove it's case in hearings last month justifying a 3 per cent rate increase that came into effort on June 1st wasn't necessary.
The EUB's released a report to Energy Minister Jack Keir on its website late today.
It says they are not convinced that information given by Disco on the the precise amount of earnings of 28.3 million dollars for 2010 and 2011 is necessary.
Our newsroom contact NB Power for comment, they are reviewing the document and will issue a response tomorrow.
Monday, July 12, 2010
Premier Shawn Graham along with Premiers Darrell Dexter of Nova Scotia, Robert Ghiz of Prince Edward Island and Danny Williams of Newfoundland and Labrador are talking about working together for clean and renewable energy across the region.
The premiers are in Massachusetts for the Conference of New England Governors and Eastern Canadian Premiers, where energy issues have been a major focus of discussions. PEI's Ghiz is represented by Deputy Premier George Webster.
All four Atlantic Canadian provinces have been working together on energy issues through the Council of Atlantic Premiers, and they want to build on that work with Ottawa through the Atlantic Energy Gateway Initiative.
RCMP offering an update on a stabbing from July 4th.
Police tells CHSJ News a 32-year-old Parlee Brook man was stabbed several times after a fight between several men at a home on Pleasant Avenue in Dairytown.
He is in hospital in Moncton recovering from his wounds and at the time a 20-year-old Sussex man was arrested and released.
Since then RCMP have arrested the stabbing victim from Parlee Brook and another man from Sussex and charged them with Break and Enter and Assault. The 20-year-old of Pitt Street in Sussex who was previously arrested and released has now been charged with assault causily bodily harm.
All three will be before a judge at a later date.
Sussex RCMP are looking into incident on the weekend where two men in their 20's got into shouting match with another man.
It quickly became physical when the 24-year-old man was stabbed twice.
He was taken to hospital where he was treated and released.
Police have recovered a knife.
The suspect is described as in his late teens or early 20's, about 5 foot 10 inches tall and skinny with short dirty blond hair.
(Barry Ogden Of Marco Polo Project)
It might be a bit of a challenge but those people who go to Harbour Station in late October to see the Saint John Theatre Company perform a musical about the Marco Polo might also be able to get a gander at the replica of the tall ship itself. The chief organiser of getting the replica built, Barry Ogden couldn't be happier. He says there are six companies who say they can bring the tall ship over the harbour from the lower west side and he has been told it is possible to get it inside Harbour Station.
They're just about ready to get on with the painting but are still waiting to hear about where it will be permanently anchored along the waterfront. Ogden tells CHSJ News, if need be, the ship could be wrapped up for the winter.
A 66 year old unidentified man has been killed after his car collided with a moose along highway 7 near Welsford late last night. Two passengers were taken to hospital. One suffered just minor injuries. The other sustained what are described by the RCMP as serious injuries. They were all wearing their seatbelts and alcohol was not a factor and the road was wet at the time.
Hunters who entered the moose license draw can now find out if they got a license for this fall's draw.
The province received 62,900 applications for 3,554 licences with the 2010 moose hunting season coming up in September.
Callers will be asked to enter their provincial medicare number using the telephone keypad and if you are checking online, you need to enter your medicare number into the required field before you find out if you are successful in the draw.
Validation stickers will be sent to all successful applicants.
To find if you got a license call 1-800-459-3729 on a touch tone telephone or by checking online at www.gnb.ca/naturalresources.
(Haitian Earthquake Victim)
Today marks the six-month anniversary of the devastating earthquake in Haiti. The quake killed over 220,000 people making it the most deadly on record for the Western Hemisphere. The Canadian Red Cross says that even half a year later, more than half of the 1.3 million people who were displaced are still living in makeshift camps. They says transitional shelters are still needed to safely house families for several years while permanent reconstruction takes place. The Red Cross says they've delivered more than 11,000 tons of emergency relief materials. Transitional shelters are still needed to safely house families for several years until more permanent construction can take place. At the time of the earthquake, schools and businesses rallied in Saint John to donate thousands of dollars to Haiti as well shoes and even jeans.
A 27-year-old man, originally from Rothesay, has died after a car he was in that was traveling from New Brunswick to a concert in Massachusetts struck a moose on the Maine turnpike over the weekend. According to the State Police in Maine, the car rolled over several times after hitting the animal near York before colliding with a tree. Christopher Miller, who was a passenger, died in the crash. Police say his parents live in Rothesay but his driver's licence listed his address as being in Whitby, Ontario. The driver, Andrew MacDonald of Quispamsis suffered serious head injuries and is being treated in a Maine hospital. A woman, also from Quispamsis, was in the back seat and she suffered with just cuts and bruises.