Linked Header

Friday, September 28, 2012

Mortgage Fraudster Sentenced

49-year-old William Priest-Phillips of Nackawic was sentenced today (Friday) to three years in prison in connection with a mortgage fraud investigation.

William Priest-Phillips and his company, Priest Phillips Management Corp., were both charged with one count each of fraud over $5,000 and one count of uttering forged documents.

The 5-month long investigation was launched after police were tipped off by the New Brunswick Securities Commission, which led its own separate investigation into William Priest-Phillips's activities.

MP Elizabeth May Slams Harper's Economic Policy

Federal Green party Leader Elizabeth May levelling some harsh criticism at Stephen Harper, saying one way or another we're going to have to deal with the "fact" that unconventional natural gas from fracking has a higher carbon content and a bigger impact on greenhouse gases than conventional natural gas.  

May also slammed Harper for leaving Eastern Canadians reliant on foreign oil.

May, who recently participated in an anti-fracking rally in Fredericton, says the federal government needs to think of the future and make opportunities in the Maritimes so young people can stay here.

Bridge Traffic Returns To Normal Until The Spring

It's free wheeling for Harbour Bridge commuters in both directions -- construction crews started to remove pylons blocking one lane westbound Wednesday evening.
A Transportation Department spokesperson tells CHSJ News all lanes in both directions will remain open until some time next spring when work begins on the east bound lanes of the bridge.
Finishing work was carried out this year on the new cement barrier on the west bound lanes and under the bridge after the original contractor went bankrupt earlier this year.
The spokesperson tells us crews will work through the winter to prepare for the major overhaul of the eastbound lanes next year.
The original schedule called for the 35-million dollar make over to be completed in two years -- the Transportation Department remains confident that even though it took three years to complete the west bound lanes -- the work eastbound will be completed in one construction season.

Saint John Man With Brain Tumour Getting Help

The age of 42 is too young to be contemplating your own mortality but that's the situation facing  John Phillippe who is suffering from brain cancer and needs the drug Avastin to stay alive.

A benefit auction will be held tomorrow night at the Aquarius to help him out which Phillippe tells CHSJ News is overwhelming when you consider the number of peopkle coming together to make the effort to extend his life.

Avastin costs 10 thousand dollars or more a month to take but isn't covered in this province yet.   Premier David Alward is promising to bring in a catastrophic drug plan with the help of former Provincial Health Minister Dr. Dennis Furlong.

New Nature Preserve To Open

The Nature Trust of New Brunswick is getting a big gift from Connors Brothers and Clover Leaf Seafood. The company is donating a key piece of property to be used as a nature preserve. 

Nature Trust president Don Dennison tells CHSJ News it's a sizable chunk of land characterized by its rocky shoreline. There will be walking trails developed on the property down the road, says Dennsion, although the Nature Trust is encouraging visitors to simply enjoy the place in its natural state.

Connors also donated Wolf Island, 10km of the shore of Black's Harbour, to the Trust back in June. There will be a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the site tomorrow from 1:30pm to 2pm.

Run For The Cure This Weekend

The 21rst annual Run for the Cure is gearing up for its big run this Sunday at Harbour Station. The breast cancer fundraiser kicks off at 1:30 and there will be a BBQ and events for the kids, weather permitting. 

Karen McCumber tells CHSJ News the fundraising efforts have made a big difference for a lot of women, with higher survival rates now than ever before.

It's not too late for individuals to sign up for the 5k run or 1k walk. For more information, click

More Information To Be Released From Oland Warrants

More from the search warrants in the Richard Oland murder investigation will be released next week...Judge R. Leslie Jackson's written decision saying it's not legal to withhold information from the public just to give the police an advantage, but there has to be a specific and serious risk.

The names of people in the documents who are not suspects or subjects of the search warrants will be released--but there's still the same prohibition on the release of information that would only be known to the killer.

The new information will be released on October 5th.

Fire in Welsford Along Highway 7

Emergency crews clogging highway 7 in response to a house fire in Welsford....

Fire officials responding around 11:30am to reports of a residence on fire. 

Corporal Pat Cole tells CHSJ News emergency vehicles are- limiting access to the highway leading to wait times of 30 minutes to an hour.

Oland Case Back In Court This Morning

A judge is expected to rule today on whether we can see more information from search warrants in the Richard Oland murder investigation.

The prominent 69-year-old businessman was found slain in his office on July 7th last year. How he died has not been revealed. 

City Police insist the investigation remains open even though no one has been charged yet and recently were granted a new search warrant.

Last month, Provincial Court Judge Leslie Jackson allowed seven heavily censored search warrants to be made public along with related documents.